Telecommunication,Computer Science,Internet Technology,E-commerce,Artificial Intelligence,Big Data Processing
Mr. Xu joined Liu, Shen & Associates in 2005 and passed patent attorney qualification examination in 2012.He specializes in patent prosecution, re-examination and client counseling with a focus on electrical engineering, antenna, radar, automatic control, telecommunication, electronics, computer science，digital signal process as well as integration circuit design.
Mr. Xu had studied and researched in BeiHang University and China Aerospace Science And Industry Corporation, and had a master's degree in 1999. Before joining this firm, Mr. Xu worked as an engineer at China Posts and Telecommunications Industry Corporation and as a senior engineer at China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation.
Mechanical Engineering,Vehicle Engineering,Material Science
Ms. Xue obtained a bachelor degree majoring in Mechanical Engineering and Automation from Tsinghua University in 2012, and obtained a master degree majoring in Material Science and Engineering from Tsinghua University in 2014.
Ms. Xue joined Liu, Shen & Associates in 2016 and became a qualified patent attorney in 2016. Ms. Xue obtained the qualification as an attorney at law in 2017.
She specializes in patent application drafting, patent prosecution, re-examination, patent counseling with a focus on mechanical engineering, vehicle engineering, machinery equipment, material engineering etc.
She also participates in non-litigation services such as legal counseling, Freedom to operate (FTO), and due diligence.
Main Clients Ms. Xue Worked for:
- Dyson, Schneider, Kone, Suez
Representative cases that Ms. Cao has participated include：
- Leili Motor Co. Ltd. vs. an individual Patent Invalidation procedure, Ms. Xue is attorney for the patentee, the patent right is maintained to be valid by PRB after amendments
All-China Patent Attorneys Association (ACPAA)
Ms. Yan joined Liu, Shen & Associates in 2003 and got qualification as a patent attorney in 2010. She specializes in communications with clients, procedure management for application request and examination, verifying the filling documents, monitoring the deadline in the procedure of examination and reexamination, coordinating the matters between procedure person and agent person.
Ms. Yan had a bachelor’s degree of environment engineer from the Capital University of Economics and Business in 2002.
Ms. Yan assisted Mr. Jay Sha’s group joined in Liu, Shen & Associates with three thousand applications/patents in 2008. She managed procedure matters and monitored the deadline for all the applications/patents of Jay’s group. Also she was in charge of the communications and coordination between this new group and Liu, Shen. In final, Mr. Jay Sha’s group finished the transferring smoothly.
All-China Patent Agents Association (ACPAA)
Education: Bachelor of Law
University: Northeast University of Finance & Economics
Qualification: Attorney at law (1994)
Mr. Kai Yang, attorney at law, is a senior associate in the firm. He obtained a bachelor’s degree in law when graduating from the Law School of the Northeast University of Finance & Economics in 1991. He started practicing law in 1994. Mr. Yang further received extensive training on trademark related laws and practice organized by AOTS in Japan in 2003.
Mr. Yang worked for two law firms as an attorney before joining Liu, Shen & Associates in 2000. Now Mr. Yang works in the Legal Department of the firm and has handled many trademark opposition and cancellation cases as well as many trademark related administrative proceedings before the TMO, TRAB and the Courts. Mr. Yang is also an expert in advising clients on various IP related laws such as copyright, unfair competition, license contract and trade secrets. His working laguanges are Chinese and English.
- Li Ning Company v. Putian Yuxin Trading Co., Ltd., infringement of the "Li Ning and Device" registered trademark, involving customs protection of intellectual property rights. Mr. Yang represented Li Ning Company and won the case.
- Heineken v. Trademark Review and Adjudication Board, “喜力” trademark review opposition review litigation case. Mr. Yang represented Heineken and won the case. This is the first time that the people’s court of the first instance permitted the trademark owner to supplement the submission of new evidence in the trademark administrative litigation proceeding. The case was included in the 2004 edition of the Chinese Trademark Report, Volume 1.
- Beijing Xiyangyang Culture Development Co., Ltd. v. Samsung China and Samsung Tianjin, the neighboring right dispute. Mr. Yang represented Samsung, and this case was settled via mediation.
- US Fine Art Lamps v. Zhongshan Juguang Lighting Co., Ltd, copyright infringement on product catalogs and lamp products. Mr. Yang represented US Fine Art Lamps and won the case in both first and second instances. This is the first time that Chinese court identified lighting products as "works of art with practical functions" and should be protected by copyright law. The case was chosen as the top ten intellectual property cases at Beijing Second Intermediate Court in 2006, meanwhile was covered by the related US medias.
- DESCENTE LTD v. Shenzhen Zouxiunet Company, trademark infringement. Mr. Yang represented the trademark holder DESCENTE LTD and won the case. This case is the first trademark infringement case against group-buying websites, and the court affirmed that the group-buying websites should be responsible for the trademark infringement. This case was chosen as the top ten intellectual property cases in Beijing High Court in 2012, and was chosen as one of the top 50 top ten intellectual property cases by the Supreme Court.
- Representing BASF, Merrill Lynch, Chivas, Anheuser-Busch, Matsushita Timberland and many other famous brands to crack down on fake products, through the local Administrations of Industry and Commerce.
- “Team Beatles” trademark opposition review administrative litigation. Mr. Yang represented the owner of merchandising right of the Beatles to stop the other’s registration of “Beatles” as trademark and finally won the case in the first and second instance at Beijing Intermediate Court and Beijing High Court. This is the first time that Chinese court admitted the merchandising right upon the band’s name.
- Beijing Daoxiangcun v. Suzhou Daoxiangcun, Mr. Yang represented Beijing Daoxiangcun and finally won the case in the re-trail instance at the Supreme Court. This case has typical meaning in resolving the disputes among numerous time-honored brands, and was chosen as one of the top 10 IP cases in 2014 by the Supreme Court.
- Series of Cock device trademark cases, in these cases, Mr. Yang represented for the trademark owner DESCENTE LTD, prevented the other party from imitating the famous trademark.
- Represented for HACHETTE FILIPACCHI PRESSE in the customs IP protection case in Beijing Customs, in which case the trademark holder tracked down more than 13,000 items of trademark infringing clothes. This case is the biggest case that Beijing Customs handled in 2016, and was reported by CCTV, BTV, Beijing Daily and other medium.
All-China Lawyers Association (ACLA)
Ms. Yang joined Liu, Shen & Associates in 2010 and became a qualified patent attorney in 2015. She specializes in design patent prosecution with a focus on Mechanism, electrical engineering.
Ms. Yang had a bachelor's degree from Tianjin University of Technology and Education in 2009.
Polymer,Organic Chemistry,Life Science,Chemical Engineering
Ms. Wei Yang is a patent attorney in China.
Ms.Yang joined the law firm of Liu, Shen & Associates in 2008 and specializes in patent prosecution mainly in fields of Polymer Chemistry and Physics, Organic Chemistry.
Ms.Yang is a member of the Chinese Patent Agents Association. She received a Master’s of science degree in Polymer Chemistry and Physics fromJilinUniversityin 2005 and a Doctor’s of science degree in Biological Sciences fromHokkaidoUniversity(Japan) in 2008.
Mr. Perry Wu YANG graduated from Zhejiang University (B.S., 1982), majoring in mechanical engineering, and he received professional training at intellectual property law firms in Germany and the U.K. from 1984 to 1985.
Mr. YANG started his professional career in 1982; worked for the Patent and Trademark Agency of CCPIT from 1982 to 1992; and joined the firm of Liu, Shen & Associates as a founding partner in 1993. His areas of special interests and experiences are patent filing, prosecution and invalidation proceedings in the field of mechanical engineering, and now he is the President of the firm.
Mr. YANG is deputy to the 12th National People's Congress, the President of All-China Patent Attorneys Association (ACPAA), the President of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI) China Section, and the Vice President of AIPPI China. He is also a member of Beijing Lawyers Association and LES China Group.
Medical Devices,Chemical Engineering
Ms. Yang joined Liu, Shen & Associates in 2013 and became a qualified patent attorney in 2015. She specializes in patent prosecution with a focus on chemical engineering, polymer chemistry, material science and so on.
Ms. Yang had her master of science degree in chemistry from Peking University.
Electrical Engineering,Medical Devices
Ms. Yang's practice focuses mainly on patent prosecution. She has successfully handled hundreds of patent filings and prosecuting cases for a plurality of well-known corporations, covering various technical fields, particularly the fields of electrical engineering and automation, power electronics, medical devices.
Ms. Yang had a master's degree from Beijing Jiaotong University in 2006. Before joining this firm, Ms. Yang worked as a patent engineer in an IP law firm in Beijing.
Mechanical Engineering,Vehicle Engineering,Medical Devices
Educational Background: Master degree for Information System; US LLM; China Master of Law degree
University：Beijing Aeronautics and Astronautics University (2005)；
US John Marshal Law School (2014)；
China University of Political science and Law (2017)
Qualification: Patent Attorney (2006)；Attorney at Law (2008)
Mr. Yao specializes in providing legal service related to patent law. Based on the extensive experiences from patent prosecution and litigation in almost fifteen years, Mr. Yao has deep understanding on the spirit of China patent legal system. As the leading attorney, Mr. Yao has handled patent disputes for various international and domestic enterprises. Mr. Yao has the expertise to design overall litigation strategy based on specific cases and also the strong ability to summarize and analyze case details for the best of the clients. Mr. Yao is proficient in patent searching, with excellent skills in making searching strategy based on combined searching resources, establishing solid basis for the success of patent invalidation.
In technical field, Mr. Yao successfully represents France Staubli in a patent infringement case on textile machinery, which is selected as one of 2013 Top 10 IP cases in Jiangsu High Court. The corresponding patent administrative case is selected as one of 2017 guiding cases in Supreme Court. In telecommunication field, Mr. Yao participates a high-profile SEP infringement lawsuits, involving complicated determination of patent infringement, overloaded evidence summarizing and new FRAND issues. Further, Mr. Yao also provides patent related services for various enterprises, such as Qualcomm, Samsung , Schneider, Siemens, Knipex, Aux, Opple, GoerTek, OFO, Delphilaser, and is highly praised by the clients.
Mr. YAO keeps a close eye on development in IP law system in China and is active in reviewing IP hot issues and providing opinions in law amendments. Mr. Yao has solely or jointly published research articles on many topics on patent law. Mr. Yao has made presentations in many international IP conferences, with heated responses.
- An international telecommunication company v. a domestic telecommunication company, representing the international telecommunication company to attend SEP and non-SEP patent infringement group cases and patent invalidation group cases(over 40 cases) as the leading attorney, involving correspondence between telecommunication standards and SEPs, FRAND issues.
- Represented Aux to participate patent litigation and invalidation campaign among domestic air-conditioner enterprises.
- Represented defendant Samsung China to attend patent infringement litigation group cases before Shanghai IP Court and successfully challenged the validity of the series patents in a quick schedule to force the plaintiff to withdraw the cases.
- Represented plaintiff Staubli to launch series patent infringement litigation in Shanghai and Suzhou and obtained the overall success with the injunction and damages and IP Complaint Service for Staubli in Exhibition in Shanghai in 2012 and 2014 in “ITMA ASIA + CITME”. Selected as one of the TOP 10 cases in 2013 before Jiangsu High Court and also as one of the guiding cases before Supreme Court in 2017.
- Represented US Foxfurry to launch patent infringement case before Guangzhou IP Court and win the injunction and damages.
- Represented defendant Beijing Jieshi in preliminary injunction proceedings in Beijing IP Court. Successfully invalidated the patent and forced the plaintiff to withdraw the case.
- Represented Delphi Laser in patent invalidation series cases and all the way through appeals to the Retrial before the Supreme Court, all of which successfully maintaining the original invalidation decision.
- Represented US Global Imagination to initiate patent infringement litigation in Beijing and win the injunction and damages. Successfully defended the patent not to be invalidated against validity challenges for 3 times. Launched IP Complaint Service in Exhibition in Chengdu in 2018.
- Represented Zeng Shengke in an important case for public oral hearing with over 120 audiences, with press coverage such as China IP.
- Represented Yalian to successfully challenge the validity of 2 patents at the same time against Siempelkamp.
Publications and Presentations
Publications that Mr. YAO has authored include
- “IP ENFORCEMENT AT TRADE FAIRS INCHINA”,AsiaIP, 2013
- “MAKING THE MOST OF THE CUSTOMS”, MIP2016 inFocus, 2016
- “CHINA’SEVOLVING SPECIALIST COURTS”, MIP AIPLA Daily Report, October 29, 2016
- “COURT PROVIDES SEP GUIDANCE IN CHINA”, MIP 2017 Mid-year, June/July issue, 2017
- “Breaking the damages dilemma in China patent litigation”, MIP 2017 End of Year, December issue, 2017
- “ANALYZING THE SUPREME COURT’S STANCE ON SUFFICIENT DISCLOSURE”, MIP 2018, China IP Focus
- “What is a Scope of a Functional Limintation in China”, Asia IP 2018, May issue
- Coauthor in the book <FRAND Case Selection> 2018
Presentation that Mr. YAO has made include
- “METHOD FEATURES IN CLAIMS OF UTILITY MODEL PATENT”, AIPLA China forum, 2014
- “TRADE SECRET PROTECTION INCHINA”, AIPPI China-US Forum, 2016
- “Analysis on SEP rules in China”, International IP Business 2018 Forum, 2018
- Several Presentations on “Intelligent Tank” inside LS law firm
All-China Lawyers Association (ACLA)
All-China Patent Agents Association (ACPAA)
Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI)
Telecommunication,Computer Science,Internet Technology,E-commerce,Artificial Intelligence,Big Data Processing,Electrical Engineering
Mr. Ye joined Liu, Hen & Associates in 2008 and became a qualified patent attorney in 2009. He specializes in patent prosecution, re-examination, patent invalidation, IP litigation, and client counseling with a focus on Electrical engineering, Automatic control, Electronic Circuit, Image processing, Telecommunication and Computer science.
Mr. Ye had a master's degree from Beijing Jiaotong University in 2003. Before joining this firm, Mr. Ye worked as a researcher in Electrical Engineering Institute of Chinese Academy of Sciences during 2003-2006, and worked as an engineer in Siemens Limited China during 2006-2008.
All-China Patent Agents Association (ACPAA)
Fangfang YI joined Liu&Shen Associates as a Patent attorney in 2014.
Before joining Liu&Shen Associates, Ms. YI worked in thePatentExaminationCooperationCenterof the Patent Office, SIPO as a substantive Patent examiner from 2009 to 2014. During this period, she has finished about five hundreds cases’ examination in the field of biopharmocology, bioengineering and biochemistry. She has a solid understanding of Patent law and real practice in China.
Ms. YI got her qualification as a Patent attorney in 2012. She works in the firm’s Chemistry Dept. She is skillful in drafting patent application documents in such fields as biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, immunology, biopharmaceuticals, and experienced in preparing responses to office actions in the substantive examination proceedings, handling patent reexamination cases, and dealing with FTO patent search and analysis in the above fields.
Ms. YI received her B.S in Biomedical Engineer fromWuhanUniversityin 2006, and her Ph.D. in Clinical Medicine fromCapitalMedicalUniversityin 2009. Her working languages are English and Chinese.